Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Mike, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I recently set up a Roth IRA for myself (I'm 26). After telling my mom a bit about it, she became interested in setting one up for herself (she is 59). She will not need the money any time soon, and actually said that she may not need it at all. It sounded to her like a good way to possibly grow some of the money she would plan on leaving to her heirs (I explained to her that it can be passed on tax-free to her heirs -- this is correct, no?).

Other variables: She earns about $55,000 per year, she has an annuity plan (through her work as a school teacher).

Questions:
Does setting up a Roth for her make sense? If not, what other plan(s) would you recommend?

I assume she still has to wait 5 years to access the money, even though she is already 59 -- is this correct?>>

It sounds as if she's looking for a tool to leave the maximum amount for heirs as opposed to one from which to draw maximum income in retirement. Accordingly, and because she won't need the money soon or maybe not at all, a contributory Roth IRA is a great vehicle for her purposes. While her $2K per year contribution gives her no tax break currently, the earnings compound tax-free. Additionally, as long as she withdraws no earnings until five tax-years go by from when she opens the account, ultimately she can take everything out tax-free. If she dies, her heirs will get the proceeds of a Roth tax-free as well. IMHO it will make a great vehicle for her under these circumstances.

Regards….Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.