No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Moiless, and welcome. You asked:

Until the 2001 tax changes, IMO the 401k plan was superior to the 457 plan when you could choose between the two plans. With the 2001 changes, the 457 plan now looks slightly better. The contribution limits were raised to match 401ks. You can now rollover the money in the account to other retirement plans. The big difference between the 457 and 401k plan is that there is no 10% penalty for early withdrawls in the 457 plan.

I know you can contribute to both the 457 and 401k plans. It would be nice to have that much spare cash lying around. The Roth IRA is funded. So if your finances only allow one plan to be funded, which plan would you choose? Is there any disadvantages to using the 457 over the 401k? In this case, the fees are comparible between the plans. The 457 has better investment options.

In the absence of an employer match in either plan and given that after you leave the employer sponsoring the plan you may take a distribution from the 457 plan before age 59 1/2 without having to worry about paying an early withdrawal penalty, my inclination is to go with that plan over the 401(k). That's especially true if the investment options are better in the 457 plan than in the 401(k).

Another question: Should I rollover the current 401k plan into the 457? I do understand the money rolled from the 401k to the 457 retain the 10% penalty if withdrawn before 59 1/2.

The decision is yours, but if the investment options are better in the 457 plan and if that plan accepts a transfer from the 401(k), then why would you prefer leaving the money in the 401(k)? Seems to me you would wish to put your money where it has the best chances of growth, no?

Regards..Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.