Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Mwgregory, and welcome. You asked:

*Can I recharaterize only a portion of the $2000 contribution (and a pro rated share of the net income), or do I have to recharaterize the entire amount?

Assuming you're in the phase-out range for Roth contributions based on your AGI and filing status, then you may recharacterize the part of your original contribution that is now considered excess. However, if you have exceeded the upper limit for a contribution, then you must recharacterize the entire contribution.

*Would it be better to apply the excess contribution to a later year (as mentioned on page 38 of IRS 590).

That's up to you. As long as you recharacterize after January 1, 2000, then certainly you could say the excess contribution should be applied to a 2001 contribution.

*How much of a pain is this with the trustee (I use Schwab)?

That question is best asked of Schwab, not us.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.