Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Greetings, Nancy, even discussing this rec weirdness as much as you have really has illuminated it for me. I have not tried to research which boards this is being discussed on (any hints?) but I definitely have to believe that he has finally annoyed a sufficient contingent of posters enough for this retaliation to be taking place.

Yes, I agree that he probably really cannot viscerally "get" what is so very offputting about his response style. One MAJOR hint is a link to the Boomers board that (I think?) Alison posted here recently - this is a board I don't automatically read and would not have otherwise seen had she not sounded the alert here. It recounts how he was asked (through his wife) to cease his volunteer activities at the medical center and he was offended that nobody spoke to him about it directly. So clearly he must be also exhibiting his same rather bot-like devoid-of-insight approach to the public that he displays here, apparently unable to recognize its negative impact.

I can only imagine what his family must be contending with. I have taken care of patients with TBI (traumatic brain injury) and they are like taking care of Alzheimer's patients - sometimes truly maddening because they often *act* like they should have the capacity to understand but truly they *don't* and they continue to demonstrate this over and over again. I myself have lost patience with him on some occasions and have responded rather sharply to his insensitive posts, but overall I have to remind myself that I am dealing with a poster who simply cannot learn and cannot empathize - and given his apparently underlying overall intelligence, this can be very hard to fathom. Thanks for giving me the chance to ruminate here because it really has been bothering me for awhile now and I am evidently not alone in this (p.s. I am not participating in the rec ambush but I have absolutely noticed it).

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.