Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings Nath,

could someone suggest me which are the best funds for Roth/IRA accts?

Well, this depends a lot on which biases one takes with their investing. Generally if one has a list of funds that is part of their investing plan it is best to put the most tax-inefficient ones into IRA accounts so that the capital gains or high dividends don't have a big drag for the investor.

To which in my case I have my mid-cap funds in my Roth IRA split between one that has a value bias and one with a growth bias. Index funds are a good starting point for someone that doesn't want to do a lot of research but some work in the beginning as Vanguard has 11 different US stock index funds to choose from.

Should you want a primer on things start with the section listed as "Other tidbits of Interest" on http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15837962 that gives a view towards indexing and some of the pros and cons on various indexing strategies. Yes, there is more than one.

Lastly let me point this out here and now: There is no single best fund for Roths. There are numerous sets of funds for investors that make sense in Roths given their other accounts, risk tolerance, time horizon, effort and time in implementing a strategy and willingness to dig into research and while you're 31 all this tells me is that you likely have 29 years at a minimum to utilize a Roth which is half of the time horizon factor and nothing else so I can't get too in depth with suggestions or ideas.

JB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.