Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, nbg, and welcome. You asked:

<<1) I have no interest in keeping the funds from my 401(k) and ESOP segregated for possible future rollover into another employer-based plan. I'd rather have the flexibility to invest how and where I choose. Therefore, can I make my yearly $2000 contribution into the IRA created from these defined contribution plans, or, regardless of my future intent, must I keep all monies from my old employer's plans untainted?>>

You may place the 401k and ESOP money in a traditional IRA and make annual contributions to that IRA.

<<2) Once the SEP at my current employer is discontinued, can I rollover those funds into the IRA originally created from the old 401(k)/ESOP funds, or must it remain in a separate IRA?>>

Yes, you may roll the SEP money to the new IRA created in your first question.

<<3) Can I convert the IRA holding the 401(k)/ESOP funds into a Roth IRA? Will new contributions or a SEP addition affect this answer? If the SEP funds must be separate, could it be converted into a Roth?>>

Yes, you may convert the 401k/ESOP IRA to a Roth IRA regardless of whether you add SEP money to it or not. You also may convert the SEP to a Roth IRA regardless of whether you first roll it to the 402k/ESOP IRA or not. New contributions to the IRA prior to the conversion to a Roth do not affect this answer. Whether you should convert any of that money to a Roth IRA is another issue entirely. That may or may not be a good idea. For details, see my my analysis in post 1567 on this board at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013000441002&sort=postdate.

<<4) In the Disclosure Statement distributed with the literature for the new SIMPLE IRA, the section under Transfers and Rollovers says:

“Distributions from a SIMPLE IRA may also be rolled over into a regular IRA after you have participated in the SIMPLE IRA for 2 or more years.”

? Does this mean that even though the plan remains active, receiving both my employer's and my contributions, that I may roll these funds out of the SIMPLE and into a traditional IRA?>>

Yes, but only after you have participated in the SIMPLE for at least two years.

<<? If so (or even if I must wait until I no longer work for this employer), could that IRA be the same one I created with the 401(k) funds?>>

Yes, but again you cannot do so until your account is two years old. That's true even if you leave your job before then.

<<? Would the additional $2000 contributions I asked about in 1) have any effect on this?>>

No, the contributions to your IRA do not have an effect on your ability to move your SIMPLE money.

<<? Could all funds in the SIMPLE be rolled over, or only the monies that have been in the account for 2 years (thus requiring continuous quarterly transfers, for instance, to remove 2 year old monies)?>>

No money, none, nada, zilch can be transferred before two years unless you want to be taxed and pay a 25% penalty. After that, all of it can.

<<? After being rolled over, are these SIMPLE funds eligible to be converted into a Roth?>>

Yes.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.