Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Newbifool, and welcome. You wrote in part:

I AM RETIRED AT 63 AND I AM NOT SURE IF I CAN OR SHOULD HAVE AN IRA AND HOW IT WORKS TO MY BENAFIT

<snip>

NOW I SOLD EVERY THING AND I AM ALL CASH IN THE MARKET , THE THOUGHT CAME TO ME WITCH IS RARE WHAT ABOUT AN IRA OR A ROTH SEEING I AM THINKING ,IT MIGHT SAVE ME SOME THING ON MY TAXES

I'm sure you're unaware of this, but you might try turning off your Caps Lock key. Typing in all caps in an on-line forum is considered the same as shouting in ordinary conversation. Some people consider that quite rude and impolite. Also, some (like me) find an all caps message much harder to read. Therefore, if you don't wish to type in both upper and lower case, it may be best to choose just lower case.

As to your question, you say you are retired. If you are fully retired and unemployed (i.e., no job income from wages or self-employment income, then by law you are ineligible to contribute to an IRA. Thus, your question is moot. OTOH, if you do have a job, then you may make a fully deductible contribution up to $4,500 this year to a traditional IRA provided your job income is less than $50K as a single filer or $70K if you jointly file with your spouse. Details may be found in IRS Publication 590, Individual Retirement Arrangements, available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf .

Hope that helps.

Regards ... Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.