Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, NowInMaui, and welcome. You asked:

<<I know that this has been addressed before, but I cannot easily find it. I will be applying for SS benefits at 62. I know that the benefit is reduced by wages earned if one has earned wages. Are benefits reduced by unearned income, such as IRA withdrawals or taxable interest and dividends? >>

No, they are not. Your SS benefit will be reduced by wages through employment, not by income from interest, capital gains, dividends or pensions.

If you work, then in 2000 you may earn up to $10,080 with no reduction. Beyond that amount, you will lose $1 in benefits for every $2 you earn. So, if you earn $10,180, then you would lose $50 in benefits.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.