Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Perry4397, and welcome. You wrote:

<<First time posting in Fooldom. My question is from my in-laws. He (67) and her (64) have yet to exercise their 401-K withdrawl option and would like advice on ways to reduce the amount of taxes they have to pay when they start taking the money out. Also, is it true that they have until age 70 to take all the money out of an IRA?

They get plenty of income from their pension and rental properties - so income is not an issue here. They are only looking for options on how to reduce the amount of taxes they need to pay upon withdrawl.>>

This is a situation that sounds as if it's tailor-made for taking a lump sum distribution from the 401k using 10-year averaging to lessen the tax bite of paying income taxes all at once. Your inlaws don't need the money and are looking for a way to lessen the overall tax burden in their lifetime and perhaps beyond. I suggest you read the series of posts dealing with this issue on the Estate Planning board under the subject "Do It Yourself Estate Planning." Start with the post made by Edcosoft at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380039000028009&sort=id and continue reading from there. As always, though, I caution that your inlaws should consult with a tax advisor first to run the various scenarios to see if this would be the best course of action for them. Given their desires and the lack of need for income, though, I suspicion it very well may be the answer they are seeking.

BTW, as to the IRA they don't have to take all the money out by age 70. But when they reach age 70 1/2, they must begin minimum required distributions (MRD) on the the amount that's in their respective IRAs. If they don't do that, then they will have to pay a 50% penalty on any money they should have taken but didn't. The MRD issue is another topic they should discuss with a tax advisor.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.