Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Philipcwilliams, and welcome. You wrote:

<<After perusing your insightful articles on the pitfalls of investing in annuities, I thought I'd better ask your opinion about the situation of many of us in academia. TIAA-CREF has long been a leader in the management of 401(k) plans for faculty and staff at universities across the nation. Their traditional annuity currently guarantees a return of 8.5% with very low risk. Other current choices include a real estate annuity (currently running at 9.0% with slightly higher risk), a money market fund (around 7.0%), and various equity and bond mutual funds. Picking individual stocks is not an option. I'm 48 years old and am a conservative investor. I'm worried that the current market is close to being 40% overvalued by historical measures (3 x book value, 15 x EPS, 24 X dividends). Doesn't it make sense for me to invest a sizeable chunk of my retirement money in a highly respected, low risk annuity paying a respectable return, rather than gamble on an equity index or corporate bond fund?>>

I think TIAA-CREF offers sound, low-cost annuities. That's why I think they warrant consideration for those using annuity products, particularly educators who participate in 403b plans and have little else available to use. As to which of these products you should use in your plan, that's up to you based on your tolerance for risk. You don't wish to "gamble," so if a traditional annuity fits your risk-taking ability, then it's right for you, and that use makes eminent sense regardless of what I or anyone else thinks.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.