No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Pixy :)

<<In no way did I say someone would consistently beat the market year in and year out...What I did imply and believe firmly is that over the long haul (say ten or more years), one can beat the market (quite soundly I might add) on an annualized basis.>>

Which is what I meant by "consistently beat the market", I hope nobody expects to beat the market EVERY year. I guess that was poor word choice on my part.

<<How? Just use one of the Dow strategies...37 years history decisively shows superior performance>>

I was comparing indexing vs. actively managing your portfolio, in terms of the importance of research, etc. Of couse this would be a moot point with any "mechanical" strategy.

<<Gregg's portfolio is an actively traded one.>>

Right.

<<You take the index, and I'll stick with my Dow strategy. Wanna measure total returns 15 years from today?>>

No bet. However, you take your Dow strategy and I'll take my own portfolio and we'll compare after-tax returns in 15 years :) After all, that's the bet I'm already making...

cheers,

Sandeep
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.