Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings,

Please check your flame throwers, shotguns and other implements of destruction at the door please....

my nominee is...... Dune by Frank Herbert.

I hate a story that only makes sense if the characters within it are morons.

Mr Herbert just doesn't understand the politics of empire. He creates a univerese/galaxy that depends on "spice" for inter-stellar space travel. He then limits the source of spice to one and only one world: Arrakis, lovingly called Dune.

Now, most 8 year olds would have figured out by now, that he who controls Arrakis, would control the galaxy and its empire. ("It's my bat and my ball so we play by my rules..."

Not Mr Herbert or the feudal lords of his creation. The author tries to make us believe that this empire has been merrily rolling along with a lazy emperor off on some other world, and the stewardship of Arrakis awarded as a booby prize to whatever noble family that is hard on its luck and at the bottom of the imperial social totem pole.

It is only once the Atreides are awarded the booby prize of dukedom of Arrakis and the Harkonen are promoted off that the real story begins.

Once off Arrakis, the Harkonnen's wake up and discover: Hey, If I control the spice, I can be emperor... lets try to go back and bomb the Atreides to a pulp.

Paul Atreides figures it out only after the Harkonnen bomb the crap out of House Atreides: Hey, If I regain control of Arrakis, I'm going to be emperor!

In the last chapters, the lazy emperor finally figures that he's in trouble and sends the shock troops in to fight for his empire.

The climatic battle and the decision to have the empire's capital on Dune should have occured at the very beginning of the empire when the use and importance of the only source of spice became clear; not generations later.

But then you wouldn't have the setting for the rest of the sob story of Dune.

I struggled through the book and spent most of my time screaming "what a bunch of idiots ..."

Of the entire series, only the 3rd was any good, from my perspective.

Also Herbert has a fascination of dressing up old ideas to give his books the appearance of something new:

jihad: well we all know about that, nothing new.

ornithopter: ever see the early 20th movies of the "weird" experimental flying machines that didn't get off the ground? well an ornithopter is a device that tries to fly by flapping its wings. It's been tried. Been there, done that. Fixed wing aircraft and helicopters are superior designs. Always have been. Always will be.

Cheers,

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.