Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Potts, and welcome. You asked:

At another website it was suggested that a good source of 401K participation for W2 contract employees was through a professional association. Is such a thing possible and do people know of any? I could qualify through education/training/IT associations.

The 401k must be sponsored by your employer. Unless the professional association is your employer, you can't participate in any 401k plan they have for their own employees. If you want to use a 401k, go to the entity that issues your W-2 and see if that firm has such a plan and if you qualify for participation. If not, you're out of luck as a W-2 worker. All you can use is an IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.