Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Qhoang, and welcome. You asked:

<<I made a $2000 contribution to my first Roth account, now having done my taxes, come to find out that I do not qualified to have a Roth. Is there a way out of this one? Btw, I purchased Fed. Exp stock with the account. >>

No later than April 17 you may withdraw the entire amount in the IRA and pay regular income taxes and a 10% penalty (if under age 59 1/2) on any gain. Or, and again no later than April 17, you may have the contribution recharacterized as one made to a traditional IRA and have everything transferred to a traditional IRA. These details are spelled out in IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available at

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.