Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Rebecca, and welcome. You asked:

<<My question is: Because of the conversion I'm sure I have to pay some taxes, but since the original $2000 was a gift, how much do I have to pay taxes on?>>

Well, if you deducted that original contribution when the gift was made, then the whole $3k you converted is taxable. OTOH, if you called that a nondeductible contribution and filed a Form 8606 with your income taxes that year, then the original $2K will be free of tax and you will only pay taxes on $1k of the amount converted.

When your dad made that gift you were required to show the contribution on your income tax return that year. So the taxes now depend on how you showed it, as a deductible or as a nondeductible IRA contribution.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.