Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Reidmp, and welcome. You wrote in part:

<<I have no idea what the situation would be if I moved back to Canada and was filing a Canadian tax return. I know there are complementary taxation agreements between the US and Canada, but I don't know if that means my Roth distributions would be treated as tax-free in Canada. If not, then it is highly unlikely that I'd ever want to do a rollover from an IRA to a Roth IRA (unless I yanked all the money out of the Roth before moving, but then it wouldn't be invested as long and I probably wouldn't gain anything from the conversion).

Any ideas?>>

That is an issue of international tax agreements between Canada and the United States. My suggestion is you ask a Canadian tax advisor what the impact would be.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.