Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Skavious, and welcome. You asked:

Im looking for a little help on where to move (rollover) my 401(k) funds. Im leaving my current job for a job that unfortuneatly does not have a 401(k) plan. Ive been looking at some IRAs but not getting much helpful information. If anyone has some suggestions how to handle this without getting hit with penalties would be much appreciated.

If the amount is $5K or over, you can leave it in the 401k plan until you decide what to do with it. Otherwise, to avoid taxes and penalty you must transfer it to an IRA of some type. RecoveringFool was dead on when she said to avoid problems you should arrange for a direct transfer of the money from the plan custodian to the IRA custodian. She was also, IMHO, correct in saying Vanguard's Money Market Fund (and as an aside, even the S&P500 Portfolio) is a great place to stash the funds until you decide what to do with it over the long term. To get it there, just contact Vanguard and your plan administrator. Both will guide you through the necessary administrative hoops for the transfer.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.