Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings stbees,

Can someone explain to me why the current earnings per share are different on the estimates and the snapshot windows?

Simply put, the snapshot is the historical data while the estimates contains future values. The snapshot uses the past 4 quarterly reports to give what the earnings are for the trailing twelve months while the estimates likely use a different time period. The "this fiscal year" would be 2004 which isn't the same as the trailing twelve months that would be 2003 most likely.

for example, AWE lists earnings of .14 on snapshot, but current year estimate of -.04 in estimates window. Is it so we can see how far off the reality and the projection were?

No, the .14 is what AWE earned in 2003 while the -.04 is the estimate for all of 2004 which are rather different years I think.

Or are these different animals, and I'm reading things wrong.

Closer here. The idea is that you can use historical data and current projections to try to determine where the company is going based on where it has been and making a few assumptions I think.

Or is this a real "duh" and should I go back to mutual funds and not outsmart myself?

Un-uh. This stuff takes a little work to get the hang of since it isn't like you were born knowing how to read those pages, were you? ;-)

Taking in statistics can require some work but if you're willing to roll up your sleeves and get the odd hand to help when you need it, you'll be surprised how far you can go. Just remember to look for the fine print.

Regards,
JB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.