No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Stephanie, and welcome. You asked:

<<I'm hoping to be able to retire about age 46 to 50, which is still a long way off...I know about the 72t (???)...or substantially equal payment thing for 401K's and IRA's...I'm just wondering if this also applies to a Roth IRA. >>

Yes, you may use 72t rules for a Roth IRA; however, it only applies when you have used up all of your contribution money. Under Roth withdrawal ordering rules, that's the first money out -- and contributions come back to you free of penalty or taxes. When they're gone, then you're into earnings. In a Roth, you can't take those until the account has been open for five tax-years AND you have reached age 59 1/2. However, if you want to take them earlier than that, then you may use the SEPP rules. You'll escape the penalty, but you will have to pay ordinary income taxes on all earnings taken that way. After you start SEPP, you must continue for the longer of five years or until you reach age 59 1/2. Then you may stop. Retire at age 50 and begin tapping into your earnings at that time, then you must do so for 9 1/2 years, paying income tax at regular rates throughout that time.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.