Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Greetings,

Thanks for bringing this up here Tom. I’m pretty sure we will see some amazing wealth-creating companies come out of this whole technology niche. Might not ever be what local denizens view as value but I’m listening.

It's interesting to see the human-machine interface evolve to widely include responses to verbal commands. Reminds me of Hal in "2001—A Space Odyssey."

As I’m sure you are aware this capability has been around for a long time. Call centers, medical electronic records, automobile systems, and many others have these actually implemented. Just ask Kit about Nuance if you have the patience. The real question is how to make money with learning systems.

It's also interesting to witness the fierce competition among technology biggies Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft. Fundamentally valuable applications often appear to be zero-sum games, even as applications of evolving technology are bounded only by imagination.

I basically see zero-sum here so far, agreed. These folks are focused on dealing with their customers. A noble endeavor no doubt, but not likely a major profit generator. One will get a lead and that will change and most likely become a money sink as they chase each other.

It's also interesting that IBM isn't mentioned. Watson appears to be out of the equation here.

OK. This is where you can see the bifurcation of the evolving AI market. IBM/partners are aiming for a higher level of sophistication in their capabilities. We are talking about taking full-on genomic data plus all historical recorded information, plus,plus,plus. And making a diagnosis that is beyond what most docs could come up with. Same could happen with many other areas. This is a nascent field and one to keep eyes on. Many tremendous companies have been created out of such opportunities.

Regards,
Stan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.