Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, THUE, and welcome. You asked:

<<I send in an application to convert my traditional IRA to a Roth IRA account in December 1998 but my brokerage due to an overload of these applications did not get mine processed and recorded in 1998. Can I do a tax payment of the converted amount over a four year period based on the submittal date of my application or do I now lose this option because the conversion was not processed and recorded in 1998 by my brokerage?>>

Yes, you do. Unless the old IRA money was distributed from that IRA on or before 12/31/98 for a Roth conversion, then you cannot use the four-year rule for the declaration of income from that conversion. In your case, that didn't happen, so you cannot use the four-year spread of income.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.