No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tmainzer, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I used to be an employee of a company that I was also a shareholder. At the time, we opened up a SEP IRA and made contributions to it.

I am no longer an employee of this company, yet I am still a shareholder.

What I would like to do is make the maximum contribution to this IRA, or convert it over to the proper type based on my situation now.

I am an independent sales rep now, not employed by anyone.

Mt fear is that time is running out to "clear this up" before the April 15th deadline.>>

A SEP-IRA is merely an account to which an employer may contribute money towards an employee's retirement. The account belongs to the employee, as does all money therin on deposit. In short, it's really just a specialized form of an IRA. You may treat it as such, and you may make an annual IRA contribution to that IRA. You also transfer it to another IRA investment should you so desire.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.