Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tomolly, and welcome. You asked:

<<If I directly transfer my 401k(10k) and or 403b(20k) into a newly established trad IRA can I "count" this as my $2000.00 tax deduction for IRA contributions. If we roll my wife's 401k, again can we use this as an additional $2000.00 spousal IRA deduction. Neither one of us currently participate in a employer retirement plan.>>

No, you cannot. Rollovers/transfers from retirement plans do not count against the annual contribution limits for an IRA, and they may be unlimited in amount. Also, those contributions were previously made with untaxed dollars, so you certainly can't take a deduction again. You may, though, contribute another $2K each to your own IRAs in the year of the transfer provided you have the earned income from a job to do so.

<< Can I "mix" 401k and 403b's into the same IRA? >>

Yes, you can do so, but you may not want to. Once you mix those monies, they can no longer be transferred to a new employer's 401k or 403b plan. Around Fooldom we don't consider the loss of that eligibility a big deal, but it is a consideration. Therefore, if you think you might want to later transfer those monies back into a 401k or 403b of a future employer, don't mix them. Each should have a separate account. Additionally, you should not add annual contribution money to those accounts for the same reason. Once you do, they can no longer be transferred to a new employer's plan.

For more information on rollover/conduit IRAs and IRAs in general, visit our IRA area at http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.