Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

Greetings, trepanne, I am following your logic with intrigue but need help in understanding why you would wish to borrow back half the contributions between 2006 and 2009? What goal do you reach by doing so that isn't reached by leaving the proceeds alone in their intended investments (mutual funds, perhaps)?

xraymd,

it's not entirely clear to me why the intended purpose of the funds would have any bearing on the propriety of these transactions.

but if you're simply satisfying your curiosity, well, consider it a form of cash management. the ideal situation would be to accrue maximum tax benefits without consuming any cash whatsoever. then, when you have surplus liquidity, you can call in the tax benefit that you have accrued.

in my situation, i have recently started up a business that is growing. it should generate much higher income in the future than in the present. presently, i need liquidity in order to invest in the business while continuing to fund our extravagant lifestyle.

i have other sources to make the contributions; i would prefer simply to move assets from our taxable accounts into roth IRAs. however, the timing isn't right. first, my cash-management plans depend on using the current income from those assets in order to fund our personal expenses. second, selling those assets & redeploying them into a tax-advantaged accounts would involve paying capital gains taxes.

it would be an advantage if i could start squirrelling away these tax benefits right now while still clutching the cash tightly in my greedy little fists, and then execute the cash flows later, funded either from business income or from the sale of assets at a time that is more convenient to me.

make sense?

if not, well, chalk it up to my being a congenital scofflaw.

i reckon that figuring out methods of abusing IRS regulations to the very limit of what might even possibly survive audit has GOT to have some sort of intrinsic goodness - just good clean american fun - whether or not it has any practical application.

trp
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.