No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tresarivers, and welcome. You asked:

<<Does the 401k have the ability to add additional funds for the purpose of saving for retirement for a non-working spouse, like the IRA does?

If not, any suggestions? We are newly in the position of needing to tax-shelter our income, as my husbands salary has increased quite a bit recently.>>

No, there is no spousal contribution for a 401k plan. That exists only for an IRA when one spouse doesn't work. Your only other option for doing something on a tax deferred basis beyond the IRA is to use an annuity, which is NOT a good idea for most folks. To see why, see the annuity series at

FWIW, there really is nothing wrong with paying taxes when you must. Indeed, often using a fully taxable account in a long-term, buy and hold strategy, will result in a greater after-tax stash than an IRA or 401k. So if you've used up your IRA for the unemployed spouse, then use a taxable account. It's perfectly permissible and often Foolish to do so.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.