Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Worldleader31, and welcome. You asked:

I am looking for some help on how to withdraw money from my 401(k) to help pay for college. Where do I go to find out how to go about doing this and the steps to take?

There are no provisions that will allow you to withdraw money from a 401(k) plan free of income taxes and penalty for the purposes of paying college expenses. You might be able to borrow some money from your plan for that purpose. That's up to the plan. Alternatively, if you no longer work for the plan sponsor, you should be able to transfer the money to a traditional IRA. Once it's in an IRA, then you may withdraw funds to pay for those expenses free of penalty, but not income taxes.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.