No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetins,

And BTW, isn't Frodo awfully young. Sam, Pippin, and Marydoc are supposed to be young hobbits but I thought Frodo was suppose to be nearly 40!

In the book, Bilbo leaves when he is 111 and Frodo is 33 making the infamous number 144.

And the year Frodo leaves is 17 years later, when he is 50. The same age as when Bilbo leaves on his first adventure. The only "rationalisation" is that Frodo has been owner of the ring since he was 33 and just come of age in terms of Hobbit life. And the ring stretches the owner's lifespan. Thus Frodo would not look a day older then 33 for a hobbit, which could be equaled to 21 in human terms. Pippin and Merry are in their tweens, under 33. Thus teenagers in human terms.

For Glup, we are both right. I've got the book with me and allow me a few quotes:

From the chapter: A knife in the dark;

"... at last he slowly drew out the chain, and slipped the Ring of the forefinger of his left hand.

Immediately, though everything else remained as before , dim and dark, the shapes became terribly clear. He was able to see beneath their black wrappings..... (after being stabbed) Even as he swooned he caught, as through a swirling mist, a glimpse of strider leapeing out of the darkness with a flaming brand of wood..."

(the bold is mine.)

From the chapter "Flight to the Ford"

"...Suddenly to his horror Sam found that his master had vanished; and at that moment a black shadow rushed past him and he fell. He heard Frodo's voice, but is seemed to come from a great distance, or from under the earth..."

From the chapter "Many meetings", Gandalf is talking to Frodo:

"You were in gravest peril while you wore the Ring, for then you were half in the wraith-world yourself, and they might have seized you. You could see them and they could see you."

Cheers,

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.