Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
grimani:

IMHO options are only traded "regularly" by experienced day traders and/or momentum players, and not by most LTBH investors. There are exceptions.

As a LTBH investor I will occasionally use options or LEAPS as a way to protect downside risk as long as the premium is not to high. In other words, I can lock in a certain percentage of profit without selling any of my shares. These are called purchasing "puts".

The opposite is true of purchasing "calls". You're betting that the stock price will go up so that you can sell the "call" at a profit.

Options are also known as "derivitives". The main reason for purchasing them is that you can play a greater number of shares for less investment $$$, and thus, increase your profit potential.

Statistics show that the overwhelming percentage of option contracts (sorry, I can't recall the exact figure) are never excersized. Meaning the underlying stock is never bought or sold. Some options are sold before the expiration date at either a profit or loss. Most options expire worthless.

With owning an option you are subject to time constraints. You could have a really great company, that due to market conditions, etc., may have a temporary rise or loss in price. Combine this with the time constraint and it is a recipe for disaster. If you own the underlying issue, there is no time constraint, and you merely hold onto the stock (assuming LTBH attitude) until the market or driving force recovers.

Sorry for the long post. A short options lesson. Ooops, sorry for the pun!

Hope this helps in your decision.

Biglad
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.