Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey All,

For the first time ever I completed (well, thought I had completed) my returns early and HAVE efiled... yesterday.

Today, I get a notice from a brokerage that my tax records were ready.. I know I hadn't traded in that brokerage in several years, but looked anyway...

Seems that I have a $55 profit from a 1099-B: Proceeds from Broker & Barter Exchange Transactions..

Apparently in July of 2012 I received the Duke Energy proceeds from a sell/merger or something with Spectra Energies... I'm not really sure what happened, but I need to figure out how to report or amend my return...I don't want to pay penalties and/or fines on a $55 mistake...

So, Now that I have a 1099-B form that I didn't file, what do I do????

I don't know if it matters, but I'm carrying over (for the past 8-10 years) a relatively large loss... since I don't trade in taxable accounts anymore, I've been taking the $3000 yearly deduction...I still have 24K carry over...

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.