Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
grouse,

I suspect that if you ran your portfolio through Morningstar's X-Ray you'd find a lot of overlap in your funds. Not sure why you seem to be trying to overweight with small & medium cap blend of large cap value. The correlation among your funds is probably high, so you don't have nearly the diversification you think you have. If you really want to slice and dice, suggested implementations of the Coffee House portfolio have been posted that use Vanguard funds.

I think something simple like Vanguard's total stock market might be a better long-term choice for your domestic stocks. I'd increase the international stock to 20%, add 10% of Vanguard's REIT index, and 20-30% of Vanguard's intermediate or total bond fund, maybe blended 50/50 with TIPS fund. Make sure to reinvest dividends of the bond funds. If you don't have access to Vanguard through your plan, that is unfortunate, but look for equivalent funds in your plan. You'd end up with a more diversified portfolio with less risk and higher long-term return.

db
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.