Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
I am trying to find a formula that will let me calculate what percentage my money will need to grow at to reach my goal at the end of ten years, if I start with a certain amount and keep contributing a set amount to that portfolio for each month over the ten-year period. The only growth rate formulas I know deal with a fixed amount growing to another amount--as far as I know, these formulas don't take into account any money that might be donated to the portfolio along the way.

For example, the Drip Port's goal was to start with $500, contribute $100 each month for 20 years (for a total of $24,500 contributed after 20 years), and have the value of the portfolio grow to $150,000 by the end of that 20 years. But this isn't the same as starting the portfolio with $24,000 and calculating what percentage that amount will need to grow at for 20 years to reach $150,000. Jeff (or whoever wrote the Drip Port introduction) calculated that the portfolio would have to grow by 15.5% each year in order to reach this goal, but what formula was used to calculate this percentage?

If anyone knows a formula I can use to calculate this, or can point me to another message on this board that might help me (I'm sure this question has come up before) I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

myadidas
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.