No. of Recommendations: 0
Have been watching this one now for months. QCOM's little CDMA sister. Favored by Gilder, and mostly sleeping 'til just recently. Action looks real good right now for move up (and not bad that they've had four successful launches).

Last discussion here was way back when we discussed wireless months ago, (I think).

Worth some serious DD, if anyone wants to take a look, and a pretty good discussion on that Board.

-Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Stock sure has done nicely recently. But, this business is not much different from IRID. Yes, it's a different system, and thankfuly GSTRF will be cheaper for consumers. Whatever the analysis about the technology and cost is, the bottom line is that there are not that many people that need this kind of global phone.

For GSM users, they are able to roam to many countries, over 120 on last count. When 3G comes along, I don't see why most people would need a Sat phone.
Most people don't need a sat phone, that is why they are only hoping to sell a million. The benfits will be the world business travelers and sea captains. In the scheem of things a million is not that many phones when compared to the cellular market. I do agree it is risky though, that is why I own LOR (Loral).
C
As a user of SATCOM gear, I can assure you there is a market for comm capability that isn't limited to improved infrastructures. Try using non-satcom from the middle of the oceans or northern Canada, Alaska, or where the existing comm capability has been wiped out e.g., Kosovo or other current hotspot.

Yes, it isn't for everyone, but if it absolutely, positively, has to get there. . . . rest assured, SATCOM coverage is available from the north pole to the south pole and everywhere in between.

Don
And the best part of this limited (put your desired number in here) market is that not only will GSTRF be going after first mover IRID, they will be followed by about 10 LEOS all targeting those same 2 legged creatures..... cut up the pie boys, the party's just begun.
So,...So,

Sounds like you're not planning to invest in this puppy.

-mgk
I did my DD and my conclusion are the same as my two previous postings. There're better fish to fry....albeit expensive in current environment.

Are you still holding QCOM? What about looking at chip providers to these wireless/sat market? Anyone interested in this sub-sector?

So
So,

>>Are you still holding QCOM? What about looking at chip providers to these wireless/sat market? Anyone interested in this sub-sector?<<

1. Yes (as disclosed in Profile).

2. Like which co.'s?? CNXT?? others??

-mgk
Wireless sub-sectors: Like RFMD, and yes CNXT, or even TXN (beautiful chart), also RIMM Rat likes this one and has done nicely.

There's another hot sub-sector in storage. Companies with micro-fiber. Sort of like what fiber optic is to the internet, micro-fiber is to the storage world. Chech out charts of BRCD(ball is way way out of the park), EMLX, QLGC.
(addendum to previous post)

2. ..... ARMHY??
Yeah ARMHY, but how do you justify the price. The PE is one of the highest around. PE 200 for 1999 and 160 for 2000.
So1 said:

>>Yeah ARMHY, but how do you justify the price. <<

Rat plans on staying up to listen to the conference call. Lets see if Arm's numbers justify the P/E or not.

Steve
SO1 - I am interested in this sub-sector.
What do you know?
ANAD, MPDI, SAWS - any others? Is this what you had in mind?
George
No. of Recommendations: 1
George,

yes, those are hot subsectors as well. I'm more familiar with RFMD as they supply to the top 3 wireless phone manufacturers. However, the stock price is just outragious.

SAWS as I understand it, supplies filters.

There's actually another company that I was noted as a competitor to RFMD, it's called Peregrine Semiconductor
but for some reason, I can't find the company. They have technology that could surpass GaAs that's used by others. If any of you know anything about this company, please let me know.