Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
> Could I ask the source of your historical P/E multiples? Do you have a
> subscription to ValueLine or do you go to the library and get the
> information from ValueLine? Or do you use some other source?

I typically use bigcharts.com which can plot the P/E ratio for the last
decade.

- Mohit

I don't think a decade is nearly enough time to evaluate P/E movement. Just look at WMT. After about 5 minutes with an SRC 35-year chart book, I think anyone would agree with me on this.

In general, and I think this is a really persistent truth, a 15 P/E is very cheap for a steady, mature company. A good worst-case estimate for a BMWm pick trading near a 15 P/E against steady EPS growth is that the company will return its current CAGR. A good target estimate for the same company is that it will return to the P/E at which it last traded on its average CAGR line.

Therefore, you can calculate that P/E, estimate EPS based on historical EPS CAGR, and come up with a future target price. But buy the stock or not based on whether you'd be willing to hold the stock x years from now if it continues to trade on its current EPS CAGR.

Again, consider WMT. Earnings are growing at about 8%, it's near a 15 P/E, so a reasonable worst case is 8% price CAGR plus a couple percent yield (not too bad for a worst case scenario that doesn't even account for yield growth) against the possibility of twice that return for a 3-year return to average CAGR.

John
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.