Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>> From a auditing standpoint I think a company would be assuming an undefendable risk to use a system that has no l[e]gimate business backing it up.

From my personal viewpoint, I'd prefer a community-backed system (ie Linux) over a business-backed system. Isn't it more likey for a business to go bust than for a community to be wiped out? Furthermore Linux support through the newsgroups is heaps better, not to mention that bug reports are actually investigated into by whoever's responsible rather than be explained off as a feature :).

Much as I like Linux, I am not sure the distinction in support is clear. With Microsoft, I get consistent support: none. With Linux, I get problematic support. Sometimes my questions are answered in a matter of hours, but sometimes several months go by without an answer.

For people whose full-time job it is to support a system, this may not be so bad, since the source and compilation systems are available, but for a user with no desire to be a system administrator, this is not altogether satisfactory. Of course, when I was at Bell Labs, I could not always get support either.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.