Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
> It does not matter that the taxes are being paid in inflated dollars in the example I gave.

> There was no real gain. Being forced to pay CG taxes in the example I gave is simply capturing part of the original capital (there was no real gain) and this fact is unchanged even if CG taxes are paid in inflated dollars.

No real gain? Hey, sometimes investments don't work out.
But you owned the asset the whole time. Next time factor in that the investment should be gaining at a rate to account for the fact that you will be taxed on inflation.

There are too many people sitting on real estate or other assets, because they know that they can just hold and make money when the rest of the community makes things better and they sell their POS property for much more.

I say do everything we can to force owners to make their assets work. If they are concerned the asset is not keeping up with inflation, and the taxes associated with them, then they should sell and let someone one who is going to increase the value of the asset significantly.

As conservatives were saying just a short time ago. Reality doesn't care about your feelings.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.