Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
> Phil Town claims to have turned $1,000 into $1,000,000 in five years
> in the early 1980s. That's a CAGR of 297%. From August 1982 to August
> 1987 the Dow had a terrific bull run but it only managed to have a
> CAGR of 28%.

There is always some hype behind such marketing. But in his book Phil
doesn't claim or offer any such phenomenal returns. He aims for 15% and claims to be consistently getting 20%.

My own experience with the Rule#1 method has been quite good. I only started investing last year, so I certainly cannot claim any consistent historical returns. But all I can say is that I have not lost any significant money on a single stock I have bought using Rule#1. And here are some of my Rule#1 successes: AAPL, NVDA, NTRI, CRDN, FCX, RIMM, MTW, GRP. Admittedly, I applied Rule#1 to some of these companies over a much shorter historical time span than what Phil recommends in his book. And I sometimes even buy stocks when the margin of safety isn't quite 1/2. Even so, the strategy seems solid.

My thoughts are that Rule#1 is quite good on consistent performers. But BMW may be better on old businesses that are going through some temporary weakness. Rule#1 wouldn't permit buying a stock whose numbers
are showing inconsistency. For instance, MMM had negative equity growth
in 2006. So its not a Rule#1 stock. But obviously, the BMW method has been quite successful on it. On the flip side, the BMW method would have considered AAPL to be overpriced when it was at $80 - given that the historical avg CAGR was just 6.9%.

- Mohit
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.