Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
> This is not the proper way to think about an investment. "I will get out as soon as I have recovered my losses"
> tells me that you don't understand what you're doing.

Actually, YOU don't understand what I am doing.

Penny
who has moved her retirement date up by 15 years, and wishes to recoop losses and then "maintain"

My apologies; I should not have assumed anything about your sophistication as an investor. I was out of line.

However, "I will sell as soon as my investment gets back up to $X" is something we hear all too often. The question is not too much different from "My investment has dropped by 30%. Should I get out?". Most of the time, you can tell that folks are investing without really understanding what might happen.

I am especially sensitive to the "I'll sell when it goes back up" line of thinking, as this cost my father over 1/3 of his retirement assets last year, in his first year of retirement. Rather than properly diversify his assets into funds that were more in line with his (new) risk tolerance, he rode a Janus fund down to the bottom, refusing to get outuntil the very bottom. So now he's properly positioned, but with
1/3 less capital. Please don't let this happen to you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.