Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
>Are these accounts in your name now or are you getting a check from the Ex? Are these IRAs or 401Ks? Does one happen to be a Roth IRA by any chance? If they're in your name, why would you have to roll them over? If they're not in your name wouldn't you just be getting a check, and then the EX would be stuck with the penalties and taxes? (I know nothing about this, I'm just theorizing here.)

These are 401Ks and I could arrange for a check from my ex. Of course it would be less all the penalties involved. I would hope the ex would be stuck with the penalties and taxes.

>Do you mean the 20% withholding? You may have to pay more or less in taxes depending on your income if you decide to cash out your retirement account.

My income is only 30,000...I just thought that they held back 20% to pay for taxes and then charged a 10% penalty.

>Most but not all? Regardless of whether or not you decide to cash out your retirement accounts, it sounds like you and your kids are going to have tighten up your belts a few notches. You need to have a good stash of cash in case of an emergency. Try to build one up over the next couple years.

It may be all of my savings. I have to see how much the closing costs are going to be. If I am dangerously low, should I just plan on building them up in the next few years and realize that if I get in trouble I could use my option to borrow from the 401K plan that I have?

>Most but not all? Regardless of whether or not you decide to cash out your retirement accounts, it sounds like you and your kids are going to have tighten up your belts a few notches. You need to have a good stash of cash in case of an emergency. Try to build one up over the next couple years.

I have all but decided to just roll over the retirement monies into my 401K account.

I appreciate your thoughts. I meet with my lawyer in 2 hours and will arrange for that.

Thanks,

Sherry

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.