Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>Briefly, you certainly CAN rollover your prior 401k >into a regular IRA rollover, and invest in any
>legal and appropriate vehicles (such as stock).

I also have a 401k from a previous employer and am considering rolling it over into a Roth IRA. My question is about how I calculate the total taxes (income and capital gain) I will owe when I do the roll-over. I'm in the 28% tax bracket.

For the income tax portion do I just multiply my (pre-tax contributions + employer matching) by 0.28.

And for the capital gain portion do I subtract my (pre-tax contributions + employer matching) from my total portfolio value and multiply that by 0.28.

And then add these two together to get to the total taxes owed for this rollover.

Does this sound correct?


P.S. I looked in the FAQ and didn't see any mention of these specifics, so if this has been discussed before I apologize.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.