Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>> But while we're on the topic, I've not heard of filing a form for Roth IRA contributions either. Is there one for them which I should have been filing? <<

There's no requirement to file anything with the IRS. Plus, once you've reached age 59.5 and you've had that particular Roth open for at least five years, it becomes moot as to which dollars are contributed and which are not.

Still, it's a good idea to know what your Roth *contributions* are, because if you need to tap into the Roth before age 59.5, you want to know what portion you can take out tax-free and penalty-free. Of course, premature withdrawal from a retirement account is almost never a good idea, but you never know when a calamity might strike and it's the last line of defense between you and bankruptcy or foreclosure.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.