Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
>> However, inflation is a personal thing. For example, the cost of milk has gone up about 40-50% this past year. But if you're lactose intolerant, you're not buying milk anyway. Cost of college up 25% but you don't have kids/nieces/nephews to take care of, no problem. <<

This is true...but I don't know *anyone* who is experiencing the low rate of inflation the government is reporting.

There is a distinction between inflation and increases in the cost of living.

For example, the average price of a house has increased pretty steadily over the last couple of decades, but so has the size.

I paid pretty much the same amount for the computer that I bought a few months ago as for the one that I bought back in 1999, but the difference between the two computers is pretty huge.

I don't envy the job of economists when it comes to measuring inflation. I don't think there is a way to do it without getting some kind of criticism.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.