Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>> I am also thinking mostly about college towns, chiefly because of the amount of free or inexpensive entertainment most have. One thing that makes me cautious, however, is that many of them, especially the smaller ones, are ingrown and gossipy, a general problem of company towns no matter what the business is. I know this because I lived in college towns for almost 30 years. <<

College towns are certainly a trendy pick among retirees for access to recreational opportunities and health care, but they are largely becoming very expensive relative to the job markets there, particularly in areas with scenic beauty and relatively moderate climates.

But as far as the job markets go, college towns tend to be a LOT more recession-proof than many other cities since their main "industries" tend to remain stable (or even grow) in lean economic times, so if that's something you value, then I guess that goes into the equation as well.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.