Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
>> I have just opened up a Roth IRA. To fund this, I was going to transfer some stocks from a taxable account. My question is, am I better off selling some stocks, which I was thinking about selling, for a capitol loss and depositing cash or do I transfer it into the Roth and then sell <<

You can't roll stocks over from a taxable to a Roth. In your case, that wouldn't be a good idea even if you could, because you'd lose the tax loss and you'd never be able to write off the loss in a Roth. Sell the stock in the taxable account, take the tax loss and *then* move the cash proceeds into the Roth.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.