No. of Recommendations: 0
>> In terms of the asset allocation of the IRA... why should I.. or should I not plop it into Vanguard TARGET RETIREMENT 2025 or 2035?
It seems simple, safe and sound. But... is it advisable??
<<

For a beginning investor, it's not bad. I prefer to stay away from "lifecycle" funds like these because I know what asset allocations I want to keep and have, after 18 years of investing, accumulated enough to have appropriate positions in several asset classes.

But when you're new to investing, sure, it's a perfectly fine place to put your money. If you'd like to learn more about investing and financial planning, at some point you may want to move your money elsewhere. But for the time being, it certainly gives you diversification with a reasonably age-appropriate asset allocation. You could do a lot worse.

#29 (who parks new 401K contributions into Fidelity's Freedom 2020 fund until he rebalances his core funds once a year)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.