Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
>> insulin is injected in a similar manner (intramuscular injection, abdomen or thigh). <<

Negatory, mein Herr! Insulin is subcutaneous. We wrote a Commandment in the Bible somewhere....it must have been the Old Testament--prohibiting the muscular thing. Fortunately the author of the Bible went along.

However, my wife has to do a daily injection of a very expensive Israeli recombinant protein --I-M-- so this household has a lot of experience with it. Over the last 5 years, she's now graduated to her third method of injection. The first was just standard needle. That lasted a few months. She was 90% successful. But one of the nights she wasn't, she threw the syringe at ME...and we searched for something else.

Found it in the Biojector...the CO-2 charged, hand-held needleless injector. Stayed on that for three years....now is on the 'needle'd' AutoJector, which at least shoots it into you itself.

The 'bad' news? Well, besides expense....both of these require PRE-Filled syringes. When Teva, which makes Copaxone, stopped providing pre-filled syringes for the Biojector, that's when my wife (reluctantly) had to switch to the Autojector..which is still better than the plain needle.

My wife always has an 'ice-pack' (actually one of those refreezable) little bags, which she puts on the site after injection. She suggests that, in your case, applying the ice to the injection site BEFORE you inject might help.
Also: side note, the more needle-phobic you can testify that you are, the more likely your insurance company will fork-out for something like the Biojector..but only IF the med is pre-packaged for it.

Good luck.

JP

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.