Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>> I've had an HSA plan now for about 4 years. I decided to keep two years of deductibles in the original account to get a decent interest rate. I then funnel new contributions to Ameritrade via my HSA. There I can trade just about anything. I'm keeping it simple, IVV. <<

The teaser info we got in the mail yesterday tells me that we're basically going to have only two options (down from 4-5 last year) -- one a traditional PPO and one an HSA, both from Aetna. (We had been on BCBS through this year.) It remains to be seen what the difference in premium we'd have to pay between the two, but I'm guessing it's more than $200 a month (based on the differences in this year's plans), which would mean for the same cost I could get the HSA and put $2400 a year in it as well as the company contribution to it. So most likely I'll be going with the HSA option which will use Chase as the HSA administrator.

It looks like we will have the option to invest in a selection of JP Morgan and American Century funds with amounts over $2,000.

The first $2000 would be in a savings account paying about 3% (not too great, but I've certainly seen worse for HSA savings). But we could put amounts above that in a JP Morgan money market fund now paying about 4.7%. I'd probably put a year or two of deductible in the money market and then invest the rest in a mix of their index fund and a conservative growth fund.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.