Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
>>Perhaps I am reading your replies wrong, but why the cheerleading for taking drugs when modifying your diet does the trick just as well with out any side effects or budgetary calamities of popping very expensive pills?<<

I feel you're reading them wrong! If you don't mind a little repetition:

And, while all drugs have side effects of some sort; so can NOT taking them, sometimes. Keep in mind, before 1900, the word most commonly used to describe the 'average' Joe like me (i.e., male, 48), was 'dead'. We're living longer; but we've got to live smarter, too.

I'm on a medically-supervised, very low-carb diet, too. Down 103 pounds so far (13 months). As you said, it had a dramatic effect on all of my numbers (though I continued taking the statin; in this case, lipitor). Total cholesterol got down into the 90s from the 200s; LDL got down into the 40s; HDL, from 29 to into the 40s. (I was later able to raise up the HDL into the 50s by adding no-flush niacin, and increasing my exercise to daily).

Now, after all of this, both my weight-loss MD, as well as my PCP, ended up agreeing:
1) that I should stay on a statin (i.e., lipitor); though they disagreed whether I should stay at 20 mg, or lower it to 10mg. and,
2) that I needed to stay on my bp medication.

Their reasoning was as I've indicated before: I'm no longer 'ok'; I'm a Type II diabetic---for life. (That could probably have been avoided if I had taken care of myself in previous years; but, once you've tipped yourself over....you're there). That automatically means I'm AT RISK for the rest of my life. (Not automatically dead, mind you; but permanently on the edge in many ways). As I mentioned before, my PCP said that that essentially already means I now have heart disease; when my (permanently?) high bp is added to that....... it means I just can't eat well from now on and call it even. As previously mentioned, every year some statin ends up indicating it probably has another side benefit; and all things being equal, the safety profile is pretty darn good. Conclusion: keep going on the weight AND exercise AND niacin AND lipitor AND bp medication.

That's just me, of course; but that's why I was giving an example of a diabetic, obese, late 40s male. Your mileage may vary.

jp
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.