Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>> Since you know the amount of interest earned, enter it on line 8a of your 1040 (or Schedule B, if required) and be done with it. You don't need a 1099. <<

This is true, but shouldn't they have received a 1099 for the interest on the CD, seeing it was over $10?

Not necessarily. The missing piece of information is the term of the CD. Interest on short-term CDs (I think 9 months or less, but I haven't looked it up) is only reportable at maturity. Interest on longer-term CDs is reportable annually.

Another possible explanation is that many 1099-INTs will be issued late this year. Many payers have received 30 day extensions due to changes in the law which now require them to report tax-exempt interest on the 1099-DIV. All the computer systems have to be updated and tested.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.