Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
>> Thank you for the reply. We live a very modest lifestyle and hope to be semi retired in 5 yrs and fully in 10 yrs. Our morgage will be paid off in 5yrs and we plan to work only part time then. At that time my huband will begin collecting SS. I'll start collecting a couple of years later. I think of the 403 as additional income. The majority if not all of our living expenses will be taken care of by the retirement income and SS. Additionally when I retire I'll have an approximately 40k pension... <<

Unless you have a desire to live a lifestyle that will require close to six figures in retirement income, I don't think you have anything to worry about. $70K in pension income, plus SS -- with no mortgage? I think many people will be jealous and would almost kill for that these days. If you think your 403B income would be "gravy" -- above and beyond what you think you will need in retirement income -- I'd invest it as aggressively as you are comfortable with. It doesn't sound like a market crash would prevent your retirement as it would for so many other folks who are dependent on defined contribution plans.

If you are comfortable with the risk in your current asset allocation, I'd see no need to change it. You are doing just fine.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.