Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

>>The community will lose an outstanding policeman/SWAT team member soon>>

Mary, policemen are an example of government taking money from citizens and giving it to someone else...in this case, the policeman. Police are a part of government just as much as Social Security or public schools are. Police are a part of the 47% that is reliant on government spending.

No one offers me a choice as to whether I want my taxes to go to police, or perhaps Lockheed-Martin for development of an advanced strike fighter. Yet "conservatives" keep asking for more money for that while crying about "wasteful spending" and "taxed enough already". 

The disagreement between the parties is NOT about taxes and spending. The disagreement is NOT about 47% versus 53%. Both parties love to tax and love to spend. Both parties are addicted to it. The disagreement is on whether to buy food for "the poor" or weapons to "liberate" nations. Should it go to individuals directly, or to corporations to pass down through payrolls. Should the money go to mediators for middle-east peace negotiations, or to more tanks and planes for Israeli defense. Should it be spent on a wall along the Mexico border, or on job training for US citizens.

We can not address the issues in our country until we finally get past this false dichotomy that tells us the GOP is against taxes and the Democrats are for taxes.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.